Friday, May 29, 2009

How to run a faster 40 yard dash

The past couple of weeks I have been working with some athletes that are having trouble with the back end of their 40 yard dash. When analyzing their 40 yard dash their 10 and 20 yard time were right in line with running a good 40 yard dash time, but the final result was not what I had expected. The 40 yard dash time was just too slow.

So with a good 10 and 20 yard split time, I watched video of them running to see what I could find that was holding them back. What I found with both athletes was their stride length was short for their top speed phase, and when watching the video the problem was existing from their arm action.

There arms were short and quick, causing their legs to be the same... Not good if you are looking for stride length during the last 15 yards. So we went to work, I told them to exaggerate the arms in the final 15 yards, creating a longer swing of the arms, to focus on pulling the arm back while the other fires forward, and the result was astonishing.... A faster 40 yard dash!

Both athletes applied this technique in training and on testing day with great success. If you are having issues similar to them you should try this technique.For more tips like this get my Combine Freak DVD where I teach you all the compnents to running a fast 40 yard dash!

Train Hard!
Mike Gough BSc, CSCS

http://www.procombinetraining.com/
http://www.combinefreak.com/
http://www.speedtoolsusa.com/

PS. Check out our speed sleds, if you are up to the challenge! Get the Sled to lower your 40 yard dash

No comments: